Why take this course?This Advanced Course takes an in-depth look at how to take an integrated approach to policy analysis, integrated planning, designing interventions, financing, communications, and monitoring and evaluation in the context of integrating poverty and environment issues more fully into development planning. The course explores a number of tools, tips and methods that can aid practitioners put in place interventions related to the environment, climate action, and poverty reduction, at the national and sub-national levels.
After completing the course, learners will be able to:
- Examine and promote evidence-based approaches to poverty and environment issues
- Set up effective sustainable development dialogue process with key stakeholders
- Develop strategies for embedding poverty and environment issues into policy processes and plans
- Demonstrate the integration of poverty and environment issues into public and private finance, including fiscal policy
- Design an effective communication strategy supporting poverty and environment issues integration
- Formulate approaches for effective monitoring & evaluation of poverty and environment actions
- Discuss institutional change approaches to enabling integrated sustainable development
This course is based on Chapter 2 to Chapter 8 of the publication "Sustainable Development in Practice: A Handbook for Integrating Environment, Climate and Poverty Reduction" (Bass et al., 2023).
Support climate change literacy
We want to continue our crucial journey to equip people with the skills and knowledge needed to make informed decisions, to act and to fight climate crisis.Donate
The course at a glance
1. Analysing Poverty and Environment Issues
Module 1 deals with the first stage of the policy cycle i.e., analysis, and speaks to the various pathways, methods, and approaches for identifying and analysing the interlinkages between poverty and environment issues
2. Engagement and Dialogue
Module 2 looks at the processes of engagement and dialogue, as an important step in shaping an integrated approach to address interlinked environment and poverty issues that works for stakeholders.
3. Integration into Planning Processes
Module 3 deals with the important issue of mainstreaming and integrating poverty and environment objectives into the planning processes in a country.
4. Financing Sustainable Development in Practice
Module 4 delves into the issue of financing an integrated approach, by looking at integrating poverty and environment objectives into national budgets and public and private investment.
5. Communications on Poverty and the Environment
Module 5 looks into the important issue of communication and how poverty and environment issues can be better framed to effectively reach different stakeholders.
6. Monitoring and Evaluation
Module 6 provides guidance on how monitoring and evaluation can help track the integration of poverty and environmental issues across the policy cycle.
7. Building Integrated Transformative Institutions
Module 7 equips learners with the knowledge of how robust institutions can help integrate poverty and environment issues.
Senior Associate, International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED)
Get your Certificate
After completing the course, you will get a certificate of completion. Once you complete all videos, lessons, and activities in each module, you will need to complete the final quiz at the end of the course before the certificate becomes automatically available for download.
You can keep track of your progress and download your certificate under the "Certification" tab on the main course page.
Partners and contributors
This course is a collaboration between UN CC:Learn and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)-United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Poverty-Environment Action for Sustainable Development (PEA).
If you liked this course and other trainings on the platform, why not making a donation? Every little bit helps to improve the platform, add more courses, and reach new learners! Thank you!
Get started! click on the 'Go to course page' tab at the top of this page to access the modules.