Why take this course?
The goal of the course is to raise awareness and strengthen the capacities of key
stakeholders in South Africa when it comes to a circular economy. During the
course, participants will learn about key concepts, opportunities and tools that can be applied to enable circularity in the waste sector.
At the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Explain what a circular economy is, its main principles, objectives and benefits
- Identify key issues and economic opportunities in the South African waste sector
- Describe applications of circularity in the waste sector
- Describe the current waste management policy framework
- Identify concrete approaches that can support the circularity transition in South Africa
The course at a glance
1. Introduction to Circular Economy
The first module provides the rationale and key concepts related to circular economy. It also provides an overview of South Africa's waste sector
2. Opportunities for Circularity in the Waste Sector
The second module explores concrete examples and best practices for applying circularity from all over the world.
3. Policy Approaches for Circular Economy
The third module examines how different policy tools can be used to enable circularity in South Africa.
Jan Willem Timmer
Senior Consultant, EcoMetrix Africa
Senior Consultant, Partners for Innovation
Consultant, Partners for Innovation
Consultant, EcoMetrix Africa
Get your Certificate
To receive a Certificate of Completion, participants need to complet the final course assessment. To complete the test learners are allowed 3 attempts; a grade equal to or higher than 70% constitutes a passing grade.
Once conditions are met, the certificate can be downloaded in the section "certification" on the main course page.
Special thanks to the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and the Switch Africa Green Programme of the European Union, for the excellent support and cooperation in realising this course.