The application of indicator methodologies often requires policymakers to make adjustments to their specific national contexts. Countries need to develop tailored and flexible national indicator frameworks that respond to their development priorities and statistical capacities whilst supporting their efforts in monitoring progress towards green economy.
This advanced e-learning experience builds on the concepts and processes described in the Introductory course and focuses particularly on the application of the Green Economy Progress (GEP) Measurement Framework developed by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) under the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE). This framework provides a methodology for comparing performance in the transition to a green economy over time.
If you encounter any difficulty or if you have any questions, please consult our help page.
What will you learn?
The course explores the conceptual underpinning of the GEP Measurement Framework and how it contributes to the “beyond GDP” measurement agenda. Firstly, it explains how progress (or regress) on a single indicator can be measured and how these indicators can be combined into the GEP Index with its weighting system. Secondly, it describes how to measure progress on a Dashboard of Sustainability and how to combine this information with the GEP Index to create a system for ranking countries that is informative to policymakers.
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Illustrate the concepts, methodology and application of the GEP Measurement Framework
- Select indicators for a customized country application and interpret relevant results
- Explain how countries’ progress can be compared in a global application of the GEP Measurement Framework
The course at a glance
The course is self-paced and structured into four lessons:
- Concepts in measuring green economy progress
- The Green Economy Progress Measurement Framework methodology
- Selecting indicators for country-level applications
- Global application of the GEP Measurement Framework
Each lesson takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. A downloadable glossary is available to help you with the relevant concepts and technical terms that are used in the course (please make sure you download it before starting the course).