The application of indicator methodologies often requires policymakers to make adjustments to their specific national contexts. Countries need to develop tailored and flexible national indicator frameworks that respond to their development priorities and statistical capacities whilst supporting their efforts in monitoring progress towards green economy.
This course is meant to introduce the concept of indicators to support policymaking for an Inclusive Green Economy (IGE) and to illustrate the use of methodologies for selecting and applying indicators. It seeks to contribute to the capacity of countries to choose indicators for IGE relevant to their country contexts, particularly in light of the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals.
If you encounter any difficulty or if you have any questions, please consult our help page.
What will you learn?
This course explains how indicators can support policymaking in measuring progress toward an Inclusive Green Economy. It reviews conceptual frameworks to guide countries in the selection of indicators and describes various approaches to indicator measurement. Finally, the course addresses the process of indicator selection and reviews the indicator frameworks used by some international organizations.
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the role and value of Green Economy indicator frameworks and their relation to improved green economy policymaking
- Outline Green Economy indicator frameworks and their linkages with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Analyse the process of prioritizing and selecting indicators and how this can be incorporated into a national Green Economy monitoring framework
The course at a glance
The course is self-paced and structured into four lessons:
- Introduction to concepts
- Choosing appropriate frameworks for green economy (GE) indicators
- Approaches to measurement
- Selecting green economy indicators
Each lesson takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. A downloadable glossary is available to help you with the relevant concepts and technical terms that are used in the course (please make sure you download it before starting the course).